Most people experience brief anxiety during stressful situations, however, people with an anxiety disorder are plagued with fear and stress for long periods of time—six months or longer. The major types of anxiety disorders include Panic Disorder, phobia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Chinese Medicine understanding
Below are the more common Chinese Medicine diagnoses patterns for anxiety disorders. There are many ways help this condition with Chinese Medicine.
The common pattern differentiation:
- Heart Qi & Blood Stagnation
- Phlegm affecting the Heart
- Yin Deficiency – empty heat may rise and affect the spirit
- Heart Qi & Blood Deficiency – may arise after a prolonged illness
Acupuncture has ‘potential use’ (Bazzan 2014 – Narrative review)(1)
Positive and statistically significant effects; Moderate to high quality evidence (Goyata 2016 – Integrative review of 19 studies including 6 RCTs; 11 high quality studies; 5 moderate)(2)
1. Bazzan AJ, Zabrecky G, Monti DA, Newberg AB. Current evidence regarding the management of mood and anxiety disorders using complementary and alternative medicine. Expert Rev Neurother. 2014 Apr;14(4):411-23.
2. Goyata SL, Avelino CC, Santos SV, Souza Junior DI, Gurgel MD, Terra FS. Effects from acupuncture in treating anxiety: integrative review. Rev Bras Enferm. 2016 Jun;69(3):602-9.